by Subprimal Editors
Updated: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:29 PM
Submissions are currently closed. Thanks to all who submitted for our inaugural issue. We have finished going through the submissions, and everyone who submitted has been notified. Issue 1 is now available.
Subprimal Poetry Art is looking for poetry that is crafted, urgent, compelling, mythical, surprising, concerned w/ revelation; sparse or lyrical, uses rhythmic sensual, vivid imagery and deals with fundamental truths. While we have themed issues, feel free to use the theme as a starting point, rather than a final destination. We're looking for work that goes deep and enables the reader / listener to experience something that they might not otherwise in their regular life. We're open to just about any style (special fondness for prose poems) and want to hear fresh voices outside of the status quo. Please send us your best work.
We're looking for work that has not been published previously, whether in print or on the web. Submit up to three poems of any length. All poems should be in a single document (doc, docx, pdf), each poem on a separate page. Put your name and email address in the document.
Translations are welcome with the original text and permission of the author. The original text may be previously published, but not your translation.
We're looking for interesting and unusual art work to intersperse with the poetry. This might be photography, painting, digital wizardry, or a combination.
Art work may have been previously published. Submit up to three items. Please use jpeg or png. Images should be high enough resolution to display nicely on the web. Don't put them into another file such as a PDF. The submission system enables you to upload a maximum of 4 files. You can use up to three of the upload fields for the images and one for a document (doc, docx, pdf) with your cover letter, artist statement, any descriptions or insights into your art work you'd like to share, and your bio.
If your work is selected for publication, keep in mind that Subprimal Poetry Art asks for one-time non-exclusive world rights and one-time non-exclusive reprint rights (in the event of a future print anthology). All other rights remain with the author as the sole owner of the work; after publication, the author is free to publish the work in any collection, anthology, etc. Written permission is not necessary for reprinting, but we ask that Subprimal Poetry Art be acknowledged as the first place of publication.
We aren't offering money at this time, only exposure. If your work appears in Subprimal Poetry Art, we'd be very happy to link back to your blog or web site.
Key points, more info, and how to submit
- To send a submission, use the submission system (link below). Please don't email.
- Acceptable file types to upload are:
MS Word (.doc or .docx), Pdf, Jpeg image (.jpg), and Png image (.png)
- Include a cover letter with a bio in the third person as part of your uploaded document.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine; please let us know if your work is accepted somewhere else.
- Expect a response within two months. In some cases, we might be able to respond more quickly. If you haven't heard back after two months, please inquire.
- If your work is accepted, we'd like to get a photo of you, and possibly an audio recording of you reading your piece. Please note that we will most likely edit the recordings to clean up the audio and add music or other sounds.
- Si está presentando poemas que están escritos en español, deben tener una traducción al Inglés también.