Subprimal Poetry Art/Music looks for poetry and flash fiction that is crafted, urgent, lyrical, compelling, mythical, concerned with spiritual revelation, uses rhythmic sensual, vivid imagery and deals with fundamental truths. We're looking for work that enables the reader / listener to experience something that they might not otherwise in their regular life and causes them to think. We like pieces that use language in new ways. We have a special fondness for prose poems. Voices outside of the status quo keep us awake at night.
- January 1 - February 15
- May 1 - June 15
- September 1 - October 16
- Submit online through our submission system (link below). This is the only way to submit.
- Include author's name and email on all submissions.
- You may submit once per reading period per category.
- Simultaneous submissions okay, but please immediately withdraw work that has been accepted elsewhere.
- For diversity, we don’t publish the same person in two consecutive issues.
- Sometimes we accept previously published work. Let us know where and when.
- Authors retain rights to their work from the time of publication in Subprimal Poetry Art/Music.
- Cover letters are fine, but are not required.
- We welcome submissions from anywhere in the world.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Translations into English okay. Must have permission from the original author
- Our response time varies. Up to 75 days. Usually sooner.
- Send only complete, fully proofread work. Because of time constraints, we will not consider revisions.
Poetry / Flash
Submit up to three prose / prose poetry pieces, around 350-750 words a piece, or 3-5 poems. Or a combination. Put everything in a single document. Start each piece on a separate page. Max pages 5 (not including an optional cover letter).
Submit three or four images in JPEG or PNG format. Bizarre / curious / fantastic / eccentric / surreal art work.
Looking for essays about the creative process. Could be about writing, or about another creative process such as painting. Could be about producing the work, about getting it out into the world, or how it interacts with the world. Informative, well-written, fun. Max around 2000 words.
We now accept book reviews on books that are related to our mission: poetry, fiction, art. A book review should be about 750-1200 words, and give readers an engaging and informative discussion of the work. Please don't submit a review of your own book.
These numbers (word count, etc.) aren't a cage. Please see The Amazing Flexibility of Submission.
- We pay $25 for each published work that has not been previously published.
- For reprints, we pay $10.
- Payment is made upon publication.
- Payment is made through PayPal only.
- Please note that we do not offer payment for book reviews at this time.
If you have any question about the guidelines, please get in touch. We'll get back to you ASAP.